Well this site has been up and running for a little while now, and other than a few basic pieces of information I realise I have not really introduced myself.
So i thought it would be good of me to go all out cliche and do the typical ’10 things you didn’t know about me’ post. Here goes!
- My main job is in Civil/Highway engineering. Do you see those roads you drive on? Those traffic signs you ignore and crash into? Those road markings you ignore? Yup that’s me, I design those. Some local projects I have worked on include the new Tyne Tunnel (well it was new when i was working on it), and the upcoming link road that has been designed to meet up with the new Northern Spire bridge in Sunderland.
- I’m not a drinker. It’s not that i don’t like alcohol, Its just that i can’t handle the hangovers. I could tell you a few irresponsible stories from my younger years……..but I’m not going too. Statute of limitations and all that :p
- To look at me now you wouldn’t believe it, but I actually used to be quite fit in my younger years. I used to take karate lessons three times a week from around the age of 9 to 19. I achieved my 1st Dan black-belt too. One of my biggest regrets was stopping.
- I love movies! I can’t get enough of them in fact. I don’t have a favorite genre or even a favorite film. There’s just too many to choose from. I am also fortunate enough to be married to another movie buff. That in itself causes problems; If she gets her way (and she usually does….) it would be horror movies every night. Put it this way, my bald patch is the shape of her thumb for a reason.
- At school my favorite lesson was called ‘Graphic Communication’ (Sounds posh doesn’t it!). In truth it was the only exam I had that I actually studied for. I feel like I have to say at this point, kids if your reading this then do as I say – not as i did! Graphic communication was just a posh way of describing technical drawing. It is what got me into my career choice. back in 1997 i used to do this by hand, these days you will find me doing all my drawing on PC using AutoCAD.
- I have had many different jobs over the years. My very first job was a short period packaging up baby bottles. From there I moved onto to a 3 year stint working at McDonalds whilst I also completed my civil engineering apprenticeship. During the economic downturn in 2010 I was forced to change careers over a four year period at which point I ended up in a call center as technical support for accountancy and customer relationship management software. Eventually though I managed to get back to my chosen career in traffic engineering.
- My current ambition is to own a camper van and travel around the UK and Europe to see the various photographic gems our section of the world has to offer. I cant think of anything better than dragging my wife and kids around in comfort, whilst boring them senseless while I take my photos.
- I am USELESS at DIY. Want a computer building, then I’m your man! However want some shelves or a curtain rail putting up then your just looking for trouble. Saying that though I am a dab hand at putting together a flat pack or two……which is strange because I hate going to IKEA.
- I am a massive child at heart. even at my current age I just love Transformers, no not the latest Michael Bay films; although some of them were OK. I’m still a massive fan of the original cartoons. When I worked in a call center my desk was covered in the toys. Who said work was no fun!
- Finally, it should come as no surprise to people that I love my photography. In all truth my wife gets sick of hearing about it, and I’m not entirely sure I blame her. I would love nothing more then to be able to spend the rest of my days making a reasonable living from traveling around and capturing the wonders of of world and sharing them with you. As it stand though for the time being I’m going to have to continue designing those roads so that you get get from A to B.
That’s enough of my babbling anyway. My name is Kenneth Horn.
Nice to meet you!